Kiss The Fiddler

Ramblings, moments of humor, random thoughts, experiences, insights, simple wisdom, and whatever else I feel like sharing.

Friday, May 7, 2010

My New Friend

I went to my doctor today. She told me that based on my blood glucose levels over the past month, I am probably diabetic. She said that she could either diagnose me as having diabetes and start me on diabetes medication or she could continue to diagnose me as having insulin resistance and give me a few months to work my ass off with diet and exercise. My choice.

Duh. I'll work my ass off. I am supposed to only consume 1200 calories a day. I must exercise every single day. I am not to eat foods that have been processed.

And I'm supposed to take my blood sugar twice a day. Once when I first get up in the morning, before I eat anything at all. And once 1 or 2 hours after supper. I have to write the results in a book.

The meter



The goods.



All laid out.



Poke!



Drip



Results.


I am serious about this. I do NOT want to be insulin dependent forevermore. It's going to be hard. My doc says that I need to choose one thing a week to fix and focus on that thing for the week. The first week I'm supposed to work on getting off Nexium. Then I'll pick the next thing. There are so many. No chocolate. No bread. Fresh veggies. Exercise daily. No processed sugars. No corn. No gluten. No processed foods period. Just one thing at a time. Starting with Nexium. I'll get there. I will. Luken deserves a healthy mama. I'll do that for me and for him. I didn't work so hard to bring him into this world to die early. Nope.

I suspected but now I know. And now I have a plan. It's not going to be easy but I've done hard things before. I can do this too.

HBK

4 comments:

montanasnowbaby said...

OH WOW!!!! So sorry Heidi. What a huge change. But I guess any major change is easier when there is huge motivation......and you definitely have that.

I am not sure I could poke myself with a needle though. YIKES!! You are braver than me!!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!! Keep us posted with your progress...I am interested.

Kristie said...

I'm proud of you. You can do it!

Alicia Angell said...

Good Luck Heidi - you can do it! If you need gluten free tips we've been that way for a couple years and it's not bad at all! Check out Gluten Free Mama flour mixes & her baking cookbook - she's also got a nice blog (http://glutenfreemamafriends.blogspot.com/)

daye said...

WOW Heidi!
You rock! You are a strong woman!!! I am so impressed with you.

That's a lot to handle but like you said you are no stranger to hard work.

No bread, processed foods, caffeine forever?

Well, no big loss (except cravings) those foods are evil!

LOVE YOU!!!!