Kiss The Fiddler

Ramblings, moments of humor, random thoughts, experiences, insights, simple wisdom, and whatever else I feel like sharing.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What I've Seen

It's been a profound past several days for me.  I have a lot of sort of weighty things to write about.  They're brewing.  So, while they brew, I'll tell you some of the neat animals I've seen in the past week.
Sadly, I didn't get pictures of any of them.

On my way home from the coast over the weekend, I passed a herd of Bighorn Sheep.  They were very close to the road and there wasn't much of a shoulder so I didn't pull over for a picture.  They were so neat.  Their horns were huge!  And looked so heavy.

On Monday, driving into Missoula, I saw a pair of Bald Eagles.  They were flying all crazy like.  Then they grasped tallons and entered a free fall.  All the while, they were being pursued by a third Baldy.  How cool!  I'm guessing that the display I saw was part of a mating ritual.  It was really neat, whatever it was.

Today, whilst on my errands, I saw a coyote.  I hear them often at night.  I don't often get to see one up close though.  It was grey and kinda scruffy looking and was trotting right along like he was on a mission.

Then, after I picked Luken up from preschool, we went up to look at the cows.  It's calving season and it's fun to watch new life happening all around us.  Evidently we weren't the only ones waiting for calves.  There was an eagle standing on the ground in the paddock.  It was mottled in color and it had feathers all the way down it's legs and on it's feet.  I tried to get a picture of it after watching it for awhile but when I stepped out of the car, it flew away.  It was waiting for a placenta to eat.  I don't know if it was a juvenile Bald or if it was a Golden.  Either way, I felt lucky to see it.

I'm so lucky to live where I do.

hbk

No comments: