Kiss The Fiddler

Ramblings, moments of humor, random thoughts, experiences, insights, simple wisdom, and whatever else I feel like sharing.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Squash Soup and Kale Too!

Today I made very yummy squash soup. I'm proud of how it turned out.

First, I washed, halved, and took the seeds out of 3 acorn squashes (Kara grew them in our garden). I placed them on a cookie sheet and stuck them in the oven for 45 minutes at 350.

When squash was finished roasting, i chopped and sauted one gigantic onion in 1 TBSP butter. When the onions were cooked, I added about 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth and ground some black pepper into it.

Then I scooped the squash out of it's skin and plopped it into the soup. I whirred it all up with my wand thing. I added about 1/3 cup of half and half and maybe a cup of milk. To season, I added 1/2 tsp salt, some oregano, some ground cloves for heat, and some freshly grated nutmeg for interest. Whizzed it all up again.
It's sooooo creamy and good!

Then, a coupla hours ago, my friend Sara brought by a bunch of kale from her garden. Hmmmm. . . . What to do with the kale?

I washed it and sliced it very thinly. I dumped it into a big frying pan with some butter and some water and cooked it until the stem pieces were soft. I salted it a little. I cut up some tofu Italian sausage and dumped that in. A little more butter. Yum!

It's been a good food day!

HBK

No comments: