Kiss The Fiddler

Ramblings, moments of humor, random thoughts, experiences, insights, simple wisdom, and whatever else I feel like sharing.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hey, Don't Squash Me!


The other day, friends of ours showed up to our front door
with
THIS!


Isn't it gorgeous?  
It's a Boston Marrow Squash.
An heirloom.  
Isn't it just a scene of beauty? 


Luken wanted to lift it.
The Squash (yes, I know that's a proper name) was too heavy.
Squash must have weighed in at 30 pounds.  


Beautiful as she was, it was kind of a beast to cut Squash up
into workable size pieces.  

Here you see how, when chunked up and cleaned of seeds,
Squash completely covered my kitchen counter and then some. 


And look at all her seeds!  That's a large bowl. 
I'd guess that we'll get about a quart of seeds from this giant squash. 
Some of the seeds we'll roast. 
Some we'll save.  And hopefully grow more beautiful 
Boston Marrow Squashes. 


I roasted all the pieces in the oven.  When they cooled, I scraped the orange goodness into a bowl and pureed it.  Into the freezer it goes for pancakes, pies, breads, muffins.  Yum!


hbk












No comments: